Monday, August 10, 2009

yum, yum

i made my first official batch of bread the other day. i was so excited. i got an early birthday present this year and i've already started using it. an electric wheat grinder. it's about time i start putting all of that wheat in my food storage to some good use. this is hands down the best 'wheat' recipe i've ever had. granted there is a learning curve (or at least for me) i need to work on panning my loaves to look a little better, but it tasted great. almost as good as my mom's and sisters.

14 Grain Bread


6 cups hot tap water

2 cups 9-grain cereal

1/3 cup millet

1/3 cup sesame seeds

1/3 cup flax seeds (cracked in blender)

1/3 cup amaranth

1 cup raw sunflower seeds

4 cups whole wheat flour

½ cup gluten flour

3 T. dough enhancer

2/3 cup canola oil

2/3 cup honey

2 T. sea salt

3 T. saf yeast


Thoroughly combine ingredients, adding yeast last. Let dough rise for 10 minutes. Add additional whole wheat flour (about 6 cups) until mixture cleans sides of bowl. Knead 12 minutes on low. Shape into 5 large loaves. Let rise until double in size, in warm oven (about 15 minutes). Bake for 30 minutes at 350.

*Grind 8 cups of wheat in advance*

4 comments:

Heather said...

yummy! fresh bread is the best!
guess I will have to make use of Craig and Carol's wheat grinder while I am here! (I am just assuming they have one.....they seem to have every other gadget!)

Sjaanie said...

Way to go!!! Did you ever find dough enhancer? I could ship some to you. I really like the bread better with dough enhancer. Happy Eating!

Melanie said...

Wow, I am so impressed! And also jealous that you got a wheat grinder. I would love to start doing this. I wish I could come over and eat some of the yummy bread. :)

Christine said...

Hopefully as life settles down I can start doing things like this, too! It looks delicious!!