Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bear Lake Brawl 2010

i'm still in disbelief that i actually accomplished a triathlon. really, me?!? i now know why they are so addicting. it was so much fun! i loved doing this race at my 'second home'. i wish i would have had more than 10 weeks to train, but everything worked out. it was so much fun to do it with my sister, sjaanie. next year i want my entire family to participate. it will be even more fun to train when i'm not doing it by myself. the day before the race my dad took me out to practice some open water swimming. it was cold, windy, and the waves were huge. i was panicking. my dad is a great coach though and definitely gave me the boost of self-confidence i needed. there was a gigantic storm the night before and i didn't get any sleep. luckily everything cleared out just a few hours before the race started.
getting ready for the swim. the girl in the middle is sjaanie's cute friend, mary. now that we've done this together i think i can call her my friend too! i always laugh at these 'pre-swim' pictures. we looked like the biggest goons. at least everyone else did as well.
as i was walking into the water i just kept thinking, what the heck am i doing. while swimming i just kept telling myself... just keep swimming, just keep swimming.
we had the best support team! we saw our family all throughout the race and have the benefit of lots of pictures.


we made it!!!
our support team (minus jack who didn't want to be in the picture).
we'll be back next year to compete, not just finish!

8 comments:

M said...

I loved the pictures! You look so tough in all of them - it looks like you didn't even break a sweat. Rock on! It's fun that Mary competed with you, too. She's so awesome (you know that we worked together at Brighton, right?).

Congrats again! It looks like you had a great time.

Jer + Lu said...

Congratulations!! I'm so proud of you :) Glad you survived the open water swim-- crazy feeling, eh? Looks like you 3 totally rocked it! Keep up the great work + hopefully we'll cross paths over the next several years at races!!

cbleeflang said...

Hooray for the Bear Lake Brawl! I'm glad that you had such a good experience.

Diana said...

So amazing! You and Sjaanie are rockstars to do a all of that. I couldn't imagine being able to pull that off in a million years. Way to go!

Sarah said...

Great job!! That is so awesome. I've been wanting to do a tri for a couple years-next summer is finally my time :) I can't wait. Way to go!

p.s. Congrats on the move-that is exciting!

Barb said...

What an accomplishment! Congratulations!

Joseph & Tracy Larsen said...

wow! You are amazing! Way to go!

Melanie said...

You freakin' rock. And you look HOT! I'm so proud of you! Can I say that without sounding condescending? Great job!