Wednesday, April 15, 2009

why is it?

why is it that every night as i get ready for bed i'm filled with such an enormous amount of love for my kids (is it because they're asleep)? but during the day my patience is often times worn very thin. i usually reflect back on the day about the fun things we did or were able to accomplish. i also remember how i didn't have as much patience as i would like to have had. i often times end up feeling guilty that i didn't "play" with jack enough that day, or i got frustrated one too many times. i'm always hopeful that the next day i can be a better mother, have more patience, forget the house a little bit and play more. do any of you do this? if so, any words of advice? thankfully each day is a new start and another opportunity to do things better.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

You're not alone. :) It helps me to write about the wonderful things my kids do and say every day. I just planned out a schedule that includes special time with my kids because it's so easy to get sidetracked and not spend the time with them I intended to.

Christine said...

I totally do the same thing! A couple times I've even cried because I felt bad about something I said or did that day with Belle. But that's why Heavenly Father gives us new days, to try it again!

R and K said...

No advice, but I'm there with you, too!

Heather said...

of course I feel this way! I know Rowan is only 6 1/2 months and there only so much I can do with him, but I feel bad when I think I have let him watch too much Baby Einstein in one day and not interacted with him enough. One day at a time right? Being a mommy is a balancing act and I am sure you are doing a lot better then you think!

Sarah said...

I totally am there... but I don't have much advice. All I can say is, I remember when my kids were about your kids age, and I felt exactly like you do, all the time. It's just hard (but so wonderful at the same time) when they are so little. Being a mom to little kids has been the hardest thing in my life. It gets easier as they get older, and also more and more fun. Just try to enjoy it the best you can (even though its hard and frustrating at times)and don't beat yourself up about everything. They won't remember most of it anyway... I'm sure you are an excellent mother :)

Alicia said...

this was a great post and good to hear all of the comments on all of the mommy guilt! so here's mine: In moderation mommy guilt makes you a better mom. When I feel mommy guilt i try to use it and not fight it. I let myself feel guilty for a moment and then use that to channel my creativity on what i need to do to make the next day or week better. just don't beat yourself up. because really nobody loves those kids more than you and they feel that. and that is what matters most.

Crystal said...

I agree with sarah, planning is key. Make sure you have special time with all of them and individual time. There have been many days I have felt guilty because i was selfish and took time for myself. Do remember yourself too as a mother though. You need to take care of you so you can take care of them. When you feel stressed it's ok to take time for yourself. I always love Saying "night prayers" with my kids. It is my favorite time to feel what they have learned from me durring the day. Patience is a big thing too. THe more paitent and christlike you are with your children or anyone, the more they notice of course and it will be a part of them. To know that they learned to feel that spirit and to feel your love and charity towards them, will stay with them for the rest of their lives. I love to document the good and bad times in blogging and journaling. It helps with my day and they will look back and learn from themselves later when they are older and read it.

Melanie said...

Yes, I feel this way about every other night! One of my goals this year has been to be more patient with Grace. I've been making a valiant effort but some days I still go to bed thinking "I should have done this" or "I should have done that". All I have to do is just look at a picture of her after she falls asleep and I feel that same overwhelming love that you described. Kids are THE best.