Friday, April 17, 2009

amazon fresh

i received a coupon for a free bag of produce from amazon fresh.com and have decided to give it a try.
some things seemed cheaper to me (like milk), but others were definitely more expensive (berries & apples). i wonder though, if i order my groceries online will actually pay less and eat healthier because the temptations aren't there to stare at me.... example: candy, pizza, more candy, etc.? i'll be ordering exactly what's on my list rather then throwing random things that look or sound good into my cart. one downside is that you have to order at least $75 to get free shipping. but, for most people that's not too hard. it's only $5 if you're under, but you probably save more than that by not buying so much. anyway, i thought i'd give it a shot since there were free groceries involved. i'll let you know what i think of the quality. they're delivering to my doorstep in the morning. that in itself is pretty cool. i'm also pretty sure they're are local here in seattle. has anyone else tried this and been happy with the service/quality/prices?

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I almost ordered from them, but it looked like you had to be a member of Amazon Prime. Is that not true? I definitely saved when I ordered online from Albertsons because I didn't do impulse buys and I could see how much I was spending as I went. If I was going over my budget, I would take the non-necessities out of my cart.

Diana said...

I know someone who ordered groceries online from their local store and found that the delivery time was not that accurate and that everyone likes to buy their produce at different levels of ripeness. Hopefully it works out better for you!

amyraye said...

I haven't ever used Amazon Fresh, but i've used albertsons and safeway to deliver. i really do think it saves money for those very reasons. there is nothing better than to have the delivery guy bring all your groceries inside from the pouring rain and put them on your kitchen counter for you while you casually put them away. so awesome to not be juggling bringing kids inside, putting kids down for naps, getting them snacks, going to the bathroom, bringing groceries in, putting them away, all at the same time. it's totally worth it. and safeway has ALWAYS been very prompt. the only lame thing is when they are out of the thing that motivated you to place the order in the first place and you still end up having to make a trip to the store. annoying.
and i think michele seamons uses amazon prime as her primary grocery shopping. last i talked to her, she loved it.

Heather said...

Hmmm, I didn't even know this existed! Sounds cool. I like the convenience of it, cause shopping with one kid is hard- I can't imagine what it will be like when I have 2 or 3! I would totally do this if I knew I was saving money. AND I agree, you would be more inclined to only the get the necessities! Let me know how you like it, cause I'll be curious!

Adam and Dani said...

Do you have Sarah Loveless' email? Hi to Matt and your beautiful little ones! We might come for a visit this summer. Keep your fingers crossed. Miss you.

Melanie said...

Hmmm...haven't tried it. Let me know if you like it or not.

Crystal said...

I have only used safeway and albertsons. I loved safeway. I loved not seeing the extras. It really does help! I have not tried amazon. Let me know how it worked out for you. Nice to see matt and jack at the car wash! Hope life is good?