Wednesday, November 5, 2008

what do you think of this?

i found this link posted on a friends site regarding blogging safety... and honestly it freaks me out. my blog is pretty much entirely about jack and our "doings".

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=4699330

(video courtesy of ksl.com)

what to do? i hate having to log into private blogs, but it just may be the safest way. or is it enough to just not have last names, numbers, etc.? any thoughts?

i know i've asked this before, but if you have our last name listed on your blog can you pretty please take it off, i'd be much obliged.

6 comments:

Christine said...

Hey Joanna! I read the article and have thought about this too. I guess in todays technology age it would be pretty easy for anyone to find your information even if you didn't blog. If you ever fill out anything for free stuff, or do shopping or banking online, anyone could find your information. Plus, true criminals who are looking to steal know other ways of accessing our families information including ss#'s, phone #'s, addresses, etc. So I guess we can either live in fear of those unknown bad people all the time, or we can be in tune to the Spirit to know what we need to do specifically to protect our own family. Anyway, good luck figuring out what you want to do!! :)

Heather said...

I know- I am in the same boat with you. Not sure what to do. I too have removed my last name from the blog- but things do change when you have a kid. Signing in is a pain but I guess worth it to protect the kids :0) I am not going to go private quite yet, but eventually I am sure I will.

Sarah said...

I'm torn. My friend Torrey will stop reading mine if I go private and some people found my blog who I lost touch with. If they had a feature where you could send a message to request an invite, I would do it. I don't have everyone's address to send them an invite.

Melanie said...

I think you should for sure go private. We've been private for almost a year and it's been just fine. Yes, you don't get nearly as many comments but who really cares right? The purpose of our blog is to share what's going on with our family and friends and keep an online journal that we can print out at the end of each year. So, the people who want to see your pictures shouldn't mind signing in. It's really not that big of a deal for me at least. The number one thing is to protect your family.

Brian and Lindsey said...

I think I answer your comments here. . . It is so weird that I'm going to be an aunt. I'm excited for her but very scared for her as well. She chose a tough road; hopefully she can see it through. Fun to keep up with you guys. Ur costume made me laugh out loud when I saw it:)

Shannon said...

Hey girl, an unfortunate things of going private is that updates won't appear on Google Reader, which is why mine doesn't update. It's lame huh!